From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:46:11 -0400
Dear VA-HISTers,

I would like to invite you to the next in the Library of Virginia's
noontime lecture series.  On Thursday, September 30, 2004, at noon,
author Melvin Patrick Ely will present a talk on his 2004 book Israel on
the Appomattox: A Southern Experiment in Black Freedom published by
Knopf.  After his talk he will sign copies of his book in the lobby.
Dr. Ely, a native of Richmond, Virginia, is professor of History and
Black Studies at the College of William and Mary.  He is the author of
The Adventures of Amos 'n' Andy: A Social History of an American
Phenomenon. Based on extensive use of county records, Israel on the
Appomattox tells the story of several generations of free blacks living
at Israel Hill in Prince Edward County. Richard Randolph created the
original community by emancipating his slaves in his 1796 will and
giving 400 acres of his land to the freedmen. The course of their lives
and interactions with white and black neighbors challenges many
assumptions about antebellum black life and Virginia society.

We have a full and interesting line-up of talks and lectures this fall
and you can access the schedule of events for the Library by clicking on
"News and Events" at: http://www.lva.lib.va.us.  The Library of Virginia
is located at 800 East Broad Street in downtown Richmond.  For more
information on visiting the Library. go to "Who We Are," and then
"Vistitor's Guide" from the website.

Gregg Kimball

Gregg D. Kimball
Director of Publications