Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:11:17 -0500
Richard--

I agree completely with your comment regarding Gordon-Reed's latest book, below.  She is not a liar--but its not a book I'd recommend to my students either (or to anyone on this list for that matter).  In both her assumptions and her evidence, she produces a structure built on a house of cards.  Where the first book struck me as prudential and judicious, a model of careful exposition and argument, the second struck me as weak and flawed.  Its a good read--she writes well.  But that is about the extent that I can recommend it.

Thank you for taking the time to post, and to expand my commentary so thoughtfully.

All best,

Kevin