From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:24:21 -0600
Well, TJ was in favor of state's rights; using the state gov. rather
than the national govt. to prosecute your critics (see his Kentucky
Resolution and then the Croswell Case in the NY) but when he could not
get the states do his bidding he was willing to use the Fed. Gov. to
repress his critics (See U.S. v. Hudson and Goodwin); he believed in
strict constructin of the Constitution (except when it came to buying
Louisiana and imposing his embargo on Haiti); he was a thorough going
racist, who believed that blacks were mentally inferior to whites, and
he wanted to remove all Indians to someplace else (like where I live);
he invented the Indian removal.

Unlike modern conservaitves, he believed in balanced budgets and worked
at them; he was a free trader, except when it came to the Embargo
against Haiti and then Europe.

Unlike moderns conservatives, he believed in a small military and
avoided military adventurism whenever possible.

And, unlike modern Consrvatives and  Republicnas, he did, to his great
credit, believe in religious freedom and a strict separation of Church
and State.

Finally, of course, he believed in racial subordination and slavery.  I
will refrain from commenting on whether that fits with the
administration or Sen. Allen

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman