Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:16:14 -0500
Actually, the Louisiana Purchase price was 80 million francs or $15 million, and when the 20-year notes to British and Dutch bankers were paid off, the total cost was $23,527,872.57 - which computes to a little over 4 cents an acre.  And actually it was Hamilton who had already created the public debt, in part for political/policy reasons, and the Jefferson administration was busily paying it down until the opportunity to buy all of Louisiana suddenly happened - one of many ironies in what Talleyrand called "a noble bargain."  Now back to work on my book about the Louisiana Purchase, slated for publication by Knopf in 2003.

--
Jon Kukla ....................... Executive Vice-President and CEO
1250 Red Hill Road ........ Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation