From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:59:54 -0500
va laws appear in 1660-61 and by the end the decade a number of acts
have established lifetime servitude for black slaves, but there are
still significnant numbers of free blacks until about 1690

Paul Finkelman

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/13 12:33 PM >>>
Slavery in the colonies was not established until later on in the
colonization process, sometime after 1630's. As I remember the story,
Africans were treated as indentured slaves, briefly; however for some
reason
the process became life long. Anyone remember why, where(specific
colony),
or when?
Thanks

John Philip Adams