From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 12:03:37 -0400
America is, I think, somewhat more complex than Mr. James Brothers suggests:
"...different, and yes better, [in] that we recognize that all is not
perfect in our society."
First, it is important to remember that there have been at least two
powerful critiques of early modern and modern Western society:  the first
the religious critiques that arose first as reform within the Catholic
Church (Erasmus, Thomas More);  and then, even more powerfully outside the
Church in the form of the rise of Protestant denominations.  Certainly, the
core of their critiques were over the rituals, doctrines, and governance of
the Church and churches, but they also had a civil critique as well (see
Michael Walzer, The Revolution of the Saints:  A study in the Origins of
Radical Politics [1968]).
    The second critique was overwhelmingly secular:  the Enlightenment.  If
Americans tend to evaluate our society in terms of the potential for
improvement, it is chiefly the result of the influence of the Enlightenment
on the Founders and subsequent generations.  We must admit to ourselves that
the major thinkers in that movement were not Americans at all.  France, too,
has gone through constant upheaval over the nature of its state and society
because of the influence of a school consisting chiefly of thinkers who were
native French.
    Moreover, in the U.S. a common reaction to the discourse of
self-critique is to discount such thinking as "hate America" rhetoric.  The
freedom to speak in such a way is generally maintained but the legitimacy of
critical thought about our own society is often stripped away.  For
interesting historical reasons this is not so in contemporary France,
because the political strains that had used such a swipe against free
political and social thought in France since the days of the Dryfuss Affair
got caught collaborating with the Nazis during Vichy.  That strain was
totally discredited in modern France until the recent anti-immigrant
politics of Le Pen, who remains a marginal figure even today.

    I guess my motivation for taking up a part of my Saturday to write this
and a part of your Saturday to read it, is to warn us not to be too
self-congratulatory about our uniqueness.  We are a complex people with a
complex history and as yet an unknown destiny.  We are remarkably gullible.
Avoiding current issues, may I only remind the list how we bought JFK and
Lyndon Johnson, both good presidents in many ways, dreams of empire in
Southeast Asia.  A century earlier much of the American elite bought "social
Darwinism" hook, line, and sinker.
    We are a young nation, a young civilization:  Washington warned us about
entanglement in foreign affairs but we did not listen.
    Now, back to Virginia history.

Harold S. Forsythe