From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:31:08 -0400
J South,

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that because Arthur Ashe's
original claim to fame (before his scholarship and writing happened) was
that he was the first in his race to accomplish something, namely Tennis
acclaim, then, I would assume that you would also remove Christopher
Columbus from the SOLs on the basis that his was only a (very tenable) first
based on his race. And, as more information comes to light, it is even
questionable if he was the first European, since the Vikings, the Northern
Islanders (Scots/Britons/Albans), and the Portuguese are more likely to have
preceded him. And, there is even some archeological evidence on the west
coast of Peru, that Asians discovered the American continents before
Columbus. But, most important of all is that those we call Native Americans
were indeed the FIRST to discover America! So why do our kids even waste any
time on Columbus. Perhaps Columbus will be thrown off the SOLs in the next
revision.

Which brings up a point I'd like to make to all those with opinions on what
should be included in the history SOLs and at what grade. The SOL were
originally supposed to be revised every three years. The History SOLs in
current use were last revised in 2001, so it is highly likely that there is,
or will so be, a committee of scholars, teachers, and others, who will be
revising the SOLs. Those who have concerns about the content of the SOLs may
want to contact the DOE and line themselves up to serve on the committee for
the next revision.

J South, perhaps if you were on the committee, you could convince them that
only dead white men should be studied in Virginia. But, then, perhaps, such
an effort on your part would enlighten you.

Oh, need I say, I'm an optimist!

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert