From:
Barbara Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:10:15 -0500
Thanks -- and someone else had raised the Louisiana-Washington-Custis
connection, but Mrs. Keyes didn't move to New Orleans until later in her
life.  Her husband was the senior senator from New Hampshire and she
considered herself a Washingtonian, a Virginian--by birth, at least, and a
New Englander through her mother and grandmother's line.
But you bring up a salient point.
The settings for Mrs. Keyes' Louisiana novels were always real-life edifices
(like "San Francisco" and "The Cottage" along the River Road) and she went
into great detail about them in her forewords.  This one--Honor Bright was
written shortly before her husband's death-- is different. It's definitely
in Virginia and, for some reason, she says no more.  I'm hopeful her papers
will reveal why, but until I can get to them I'm looking for any clues in
this mystery.  My suspicions are it may unlock some clue about Mrs. Keyes'
personal life and the inspiration for her writing career.  Thank you so much
for your response!