From:
D W Byrd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:52:04 -0800
Virtual Jamestown has a website listing the various Religious Laws for the Colony.  http://www.virtualjamestown.org/lawlink.html.  I have found this discussion very illuminating.

Several of my ancestors were dissenters that moved from the Virginia colony into the Albermarle Sound area in the 1660's.  They were quakers looking for a way to observe their religion and protect their property from seizure by the sherrif for participating in Quaker meetings.  Also during the 1660's there was a migration of Quakers from New England to the Albermarle Sound.

Not being an over studious student of English History, I can't remember if this migration occured at the time that Cornwall was in England trying to inforce a conformity with the Low Church style of Worship.  Do the 1660 migration pattern and Cornwalls take over coincide?

I know in the propriatary colonies another crackdown on dissenters occurred at the time of Queen Anne's ascencsion.  Did such occur in Virginia?

Deborah Byrd