From:
Keith Kirkland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2018 08:37:56 -0400
Hello -

I'm having an ongoing discussion with another genealogical forum concerning
Virginia vs North Carolina marriages. We have a question that I'm hoping
someone here may be able to answer.

I, like many others in the forum, have noticed that many of my ancestors
traveled from the Southside area of Virginia across the state line to
Northern North Carolina counties to get married -  with the majority of
those marriages occurring in Warren County, North Carolina.

The question I have is: why? Why did so many people from Brunswick,
Mecklenburg, Lunenburg, and Greensville counties in Virginia choose to
marry in Warren County, North Carolina?

I was wondering if anyone familiar with 19th century Virginia law could
explicitly state the requirements necessary for citizens of Virginia to
marry and do the same for North Carolina?

Thank you
--
Keith Kirkland