From:
"Levy, Suzanne S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:29:12 -0500
Hi Henry,
Have you ever worked with Accessible Archives?
http://www.accessible.com/about.htm
Sadly we do not subscribe but I had a trial subscription a few years ago
and found a slave sale on the lawn at Fairfax Courthouse among other
things. In addition there were runaway slave ads as I recall. You might
see if there are some university or public libraries in Va. that do
provide it. It might be helpful.

I also tried our own online newspaper index
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/newsindex/default.asp
Searching for the term runaway, clicking on entire subject field I found
over 200 hits (of course there were runaway horses and other things, but
you can limit the search to shorter date periods and it might come up
with something). You will see what newspapers we included in our index.

Both these sources take you into the mid 19th century.

Good luck.
Suzanne Levy
Virginia Room Librarian
Fairfax County Public Library