From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:03:32 -0700
Charles Yates was a wealthy Businessman in Fredericksburg, who freed all of
his slaves upon his death (in 1811). In his will, he mentions, James Jackson
(whom he referred to as a servant), and stated that he was the son of Sil.
He also left $500.00 to Aminadab Booker, a Negro indentured servant sent
from England. He allowed James wife, Martha (Patty), to live on his estate,
with her children, and apprenticed out their two sons. The treatment of
slaves was left up to the person owning them with little recourse for the
slave.

I read a case where a slave ran away, and stole a horse, and was hanged.
Yet, a slave owner could beat their slave to death and face no recourse.
That is how distorted the laws were in Colonial America.

Anita