From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:05:59 -0500
The First Amendment (not the original Constitution) actually states:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof." The words "freedom of religion"
are not in the Constitution or the First Amendment.

Which raises an interesting question: What did the members of Congress
intend when they wrote that "Congress shall make no law respecting an
establishment of religion"? We assume the words means that Congress may
not establish one. But it is also logical and grammatical to assume that
Congress could not disestablish one or make any law that countenanced or
discountenanced or altered any state's laws "respecting" church and
state.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us