From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:36:28 -0500
Paul,

I don't know research, it is sorta what I've heard from descendents, that
the one or two slaves were considered members of the family. Perhaps the
most recent is a man who used to be married to my husband's cousin who lives
on the "family farm", which still has standing the slave cabins for their
two slaves, who, when slavery was ended were each given parcels of land on
the edge of the farm, to support them as free persons. My husband's
grandmother used to tell of her "nannie", a black woman who was a slave and
was later paid wages to be the "nannie" of the children. So, my knowledge is
not extensive, and does not go into how the slaves were distributed when the
owner died, but it is enough to suggest to me that there were distinctions.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org