From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:09:42 -0400
I am doing some research about the Battle of Waynesboro (VA) March 2, 1865 and find a number of references to Gen. Rosser C.S.A.  I have a letter from my Great Grandmother, Sallie Gallaher McGuire, saying that Gen. Rosser telegraphed her that her husband Hugh Holmes McGuire had been seriously wounded at Amelia Courthouse in early April 1865.

I know that after making and losing a fortune after The War, he came to Waynesboro/Charlottesville and was appointed postmaster at one or the other.  But my question is was he from Waynesboro originally, or did he spend some considerable time there before the war such that he became friends with DeWitt Clinton Gallaher, whose diary chronicles so many of his exploits; thus may have been personal friends with the Gallahers.

Randy Cabell
Boyce, Virginia