From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:22:08 -0500
A colleague just brought to my attention that I inadvertantly distributed a
private letter to Dr. Kukla to the entire list.  My apologies to all of you
for the mistake.

That said, having my integrity and honesty publically challenged *has* left
me with something less than the objectivity I strive to maintain in these
sorts of discussions, and so I think I will take a break from sustaining my
end of the conversation here for a few days.

One last thing:  I cannot imagine how anyone reared on Russell Kirk, Hayek,
or Arendt, not to mention Ronald Reagan, would think that discussion of
slavery, in any form, was inappropriate or misplaced in relationship to
American public life today.  Principled conservatism has always warned of
the creeping dangers, enticements, and blandishments of unrestrained,
lawless power.  Given the powerful presentism of our current generation of
public statesmen, conservatives and liberal alike, I think that discussion
of these issues is especially relevant.

My best,
Kevin

--