From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:16:10 -0500
Just the passage from Notes I had in mind. Thank you. The book Paul
Finkelman referred to this morning is: Boynton Merrill, Jefferson's
Nephews: A Frontier Tragedy (1976). Robert Penn Warren's poem of 1953
is: "A Brother to Dragons."  I saw it, when I first read it in the
1970s, as drawing a parallel with the Southern white liberals of the
time (Warren had just turned his attention to redoing his essay in I'll
Take My Stand). Like Jefferson and slavery, they hated segregation and
the caste line but could not bring themselves to denounce it. Like TJ
and Lewis, they were often confronted with the barbarities of lynching,
every bit as gruesome as the crime of Lilburn Lewis. Like TJ, they too
were like Job in the Bible, " A Brother unto dragons, and a campanion of
 owls."

Jim Hershman