From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:48:45 -0700
I'd vote to keep Maggie Walker in the SOL list; she is a great example of a
person starting with nothing and succeeding in the free enterprise system... although she started  with what was basically a non-profit organization.

 Wilder is a living politician, and rather controversial with his party-changing routine.   Not a good choice in my opinion.  Ashe was neither the best example of an athlete or black athlete, or ???  I am surprised he made the SOL list at all.

As for Mr. South's suggestions, Supreme Court Justice Powell,  would have been a good choice, but Goldstein is not "Virginian" enough, and John Warner is like Wilder,  a living politician.

--Joanne

[log in to unmask] wrote: The Honorable Lewis Powell, Jr., author Tom Wolf,  Nobel  Prize winner Dr.
Joseph L. Goldstein and U.S. Sen. John Warner  (R-Va.)  would be good examples
of a great Virginians 1900 to present.

Maggie Walker, Arthur Ashe and Douglas Wilder should be little more than
historical footnotes somewhere.

J South

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.