From:
John Shroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:54:24 -0400
<snip>
> Regarding the arguments against slavery, Jack Rakove has a thoughtful
essay in Jan Ellis Lewis and Peter S. Onuf, eds. _Sally Hemings & Thomas
Jefferson: History, Memory, and Civic Culture (Univ Press of Va 1999) in
which he links the rise of the argument against slavery on moral and
religious grounds to the 19th-century evangelicals - pp. 228 ff. are
especially pertinent to the question of 21st-century perspectives and our
"judgment" of past generations.
______
Very thoughtful and informative posting, thank you.

Does anyone on list have info as to when the Quakers decided that their
religion supported an anti-slavery position?  I seem to remember that there
was a decision but I don't know if it came all at once or spread gradually
from one locale to another.
Do their meeting records deal with any church actions taken against members
for owning or trading in slaves?
John Shroeder
_________