From:
Jackson Jarl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 04:49:42 -0800
Again, well-meaning Ledgin is performing what I
believe Jon Kukla called 'lawyer's history' - it is
kind of a longer view version of what defending
counsel tried to pull on last night's "Law & Order" -
although she was more interested in making partner
than helping her client, and they were blood kin!

It seems like every theory about autism has just
enough 'truth' to make someone hopeful they can apply
it universally. Jefferson is in fact not the only
historical figure labelled as at least a maybe -
Einstein seems to be the most notable supposed
candiadate besides, although I have heard of others.

This trend serves neither history - historical study -
or advocacy and education. The very fact of Jefferson
special uniqueness in the minds of many only
emphasizes the pervcieved peculiarity of autism.

Many then deny it, not because it is true or untrue,
but because they do not want it to be true for their .
. . 'hero.' Others contest (or support) the claim on
stronger terms, with a more legitimate basis, but it
gets to where one cannot tell anymore, and both
Jefferson (or whatever other person) and autism (or
other . . .) get lost in it.

I am glad nobody made a piece about my own little
disclosure and that is to the point: We do not want to
be made a case of and stand out. We want to live,
play, work (if possible), and so forth. Jefferson
pretty much asked for the attention he gets, by virtue
of his special participation in history. Ledgin's
efforts are part and parcel of that, for good or bad.

One more query, though: Has anyone ever come across
anything about someone trying (at least) to sue for
the presumed libel or slander of a famous (or not)
ancestor? Just curious; not important. Since some
historical figures have been analyzed (and
psychoanalyzed) to death, critqued and criticized . .
. .

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Jarl K. Jackson