From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:32:47 -0500
Joan,

         I'm unsure of the exact source of that story, but my main sources
in making the Five Forks site at
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1/fiveforks/ were the Civil War Times
issue that featured an article on The Battle of Five Forks by Chris Calkins
and the book The Battle of Five Forks by the same Chris Calkins, plus the
linked sites.

                                         Anne

At 07:50 PM 2/22/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Gen. Lee completed the manumission of his father-in-law's slaves, who
>passed to Mrs. Lee at her father's death, in 1864.  He was a few months
>beyond the 5-year time he was given to complete the manumissions.  But I
>suppose one can excuse him since he was otherwise occupied in the early
>1860s.
>
>Can you give a source for the story about Mrs. Lee and her alleged refusal
>to accept a black soldier as a guard at her door?  I have not heard or
>read that story before.
>
>Joan Logan Brooks
>

>QUOTE from Ms. Pemberton.
>I believe the facts are that Lee inherited them from his wife. Seems I've
> > read somewhere that she stopped the manumission so that she would not live
> > alone while he was about his soldiering. If actions speak louder than
> > words, then Mrs. Lee's refusal to accept a black US soldier as guard when
> > Richmond fell, indicates her feelings on the subject of Negroes. She was
> > most ungracious!
> >

>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
>at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org