From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:01:59 -0400
Folks,

As mentioned yesterday, I have started a new page on my web site for The
Slavery Era. It will contain links to all resources about Slavery, including
the migration back to Africa via Liberia, and other recently mentioned
topics.

I would like to include an overview on the page, and remember reading
somewhere that the first Africans imported were done so as indentured
servants, who served their time, and were then freed. Did the amount time of
the indenture vary? Or was it a set amount for all? If so, how many years
were required?

Also, I understand that the laws of the House of Burgesses instituted
slavery over time. That, first of all slaves were legally made slaves for
life, and that at some later point, it was decided the the offspring of
slaves would also be slaves for life. Can anyone give me some dates for
these laws, and, if possible, some more precise wording.

Thanking you all very much.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert