From:
Keith Kirkland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:13:28 -0400
With regard to data:

Ancestry at least allows (and I've done this) alternate spelling suggestions
for transcription errors. The problem is the same problem that creeps into
all group accessed data: it becomes dirty over time. Theoretically, you
would only submit a correction to them for approval with a reference (such
as citation of the same family on a previous or latter census spelled more
clearly) however this doesn't always happen. What you occasionally get are
transcription changes from members who choose to submit corrections
unsourced or, worse still, believe the person listed match because "the
pieces fit" for someone they are researching with a similarly spelled name.
This becomes even more of a nightmare if you are dealing with Eastern
European/Slavic surnames.

The business end of footnote.com is unadulterated money-making genius,
though. From what I've seen, you pay for a membership which entitles you to
the images/search. Then you are allowed to volunteer to transcribe other
images in recently opened/unfinished projects from NARA. Essentially, what
you are doing is paying them to be a volunteer on research that they then
add to their repository and can then charge others to access. (In all
fairness to the volunteers transcribing, there is due diligence on their
work and they do care about the accuracy in the information they are
transcribing).

That said, I'm not naive. I realize these are businesses and businesses are
in business to make money.

--
Keith Kirkland