From:
Lee Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:43:36 -0500
Dr. Jefferson Minor did operate a school for girls at Midway, which had been the plantation in Essex County of his father-in-law John Jones and from which a portion was apparently carved off for St. Paul's Episcopal Church, the cornerstone of which was laid in 1838.  I have seen a photocopy of an announcement of the new session of the Midway Female Academy issued in the summer of 1848, which mentions Lydia Mary Fay as the institution's principal and states that she is "so well and favorably known and has given such general satisfaction as to render comment or eulogy unnecessary (see Richmond Enquirer and Whig for January)."  I believe the original sheet may be in the special collections of the University of Virginia, but certainly the unpublished MA thesis of Russell B. Gill is there (#979), a study that covers schools in King and Queen County (Midway is right on the border) and indicates that the academy operated at least until 1855.  The announcement referenced above is quite lengthy and gives much detail about the operations and curriculum of the school.

E. Lee Shepard
Director of Manuscripts and
   Archives
Virginia Historical Society