From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:01:59 -0500
I'm not sure I understand the intent of your post: are you suggesting
that teachers fear to address controversial issues?
If material is handled in a scholarly and professional manner -- rather
than reducing it to sides in some sort of debate (were slaves happy
under slavery?: yes or no?) -- then no one would find objectionable the
educational purpsoe of seeking knowledge.  What would be wrong, in the
sense of disciplinary ethics, would be to suggest that the existence of
contradictory viewpoints invalidates all other viewpoints.

David Kiracofe

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
757-822-5136
>>> <[log in to unmask]> 03/03/07 12:32 PM >>>
I am surprised that no one admitted that if they included teaching
materials
that suggested that Black
slaves might have been happy under slavery that they would no longer  be

allowed to teach. True?