From:
Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 15:25:47 -0500
Henry wrote:
"The issues with the Jamestown commemoration arise because we have lived so
long in a cocoon of myth.  The bedrock of our national myth has been that we
were born in a state of innocence.  It's the foundation of our notion that
we are a good people, uniquely virtuous and blessed."
I remember having a discussion with my classmates in my last year in college
when the Vietnam War was just starting. I repeated what LBJ had said as a
Congressman: that we should not get mired in a war in the jungles of Asia.
My entire class was furious with me, insisting that America had never been
part of an unjust war and had done nothing immoral in its entire history.

So much for learning from your mistakes or studying history to avoid
repeating the mistakes of the past. I guess that refers only to World
History where you study the mistakes of other nations.
Paul