From:
"Rowe, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:06:22 -0400
This idea that story-and-a-half houses were built that way to avoid a higher tax bill has been around for a long time. The truth is, houses were not taxed in the colonial period; there was a kind of land tax called a quitrent (2 shillings for each 100 acres of land) that landowners in colonial Virginia paid annually to the crown in order to gain title to their land. If they failed to pay the quitrent for a period of time, the crown technically could take the land back or sell it to someone else, etc. After the Revolution beginning in 1782, independent Virginia imposed both a land and personal property taxes.

Linda Rowe
Historical Research
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation