From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:36:49 +0000
There is so much wrong with the film from a historic point of view, but John Smith  was in his 20s.
From the age of 19, he had been a soldier who fought in wars in eastern and western European (as a mercenary), was captured and a slave to the Turks, escaped to travel and sail with pirates, and was an all-around "adventurer" to say the least.  By the time he got to Jamestown, he may have been "old" as far as experience goes, but he was only 27.
Pocahontas was probably 10 or 11-- most likely having a shaved head and wearing little more than a few decorations on her body except in cold weather; Smith never wrote nor claimed any "romance" with Pocahontas.  (As a matter of fact, one noted English historian speculated that, since Smith had been captured by the Turks-- and it was their general practice to castrate their adult, male captives-- and there is no record of Smith having any relationship with any female-- his sexual ability may well have been seriously diminished, if not nonexistent.)
I have seen scenes of the film but haven't seen the whole thing.  I have heard
that it is beautiful to behold (and should help tourism to Virginia) but WAY off the real story. Too bad they didn't cast a heartthrob as John Rolfe so he could have had the steamy scenes with Pocahontas.
-Melinda Skinner (educational writer/researcher, among other things)

From: Louise Bernikow <[log in to unmask]>