From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:35:40 -0400
That's right -- the issue is one of respect for others' sense of
sanctity.  In the 19th century, Virginians often romanticized the native
peoples who lived in the area at the time of the first settlement:
especially Pocahontas and Powhatan.  Even Opechancanough was praised for
his devotion to the land.  But the creators of the romantic images were
doing so at a time when the natives had been safely dispossessed (indeed,
were being dispossessed throughout the eastern half of the country), were
denied citizenship, and were unable to press legal challenge to the loss
of their lands -- sacred or otherwise.  Today, recent federal laws give
native communities much more to work with for regaining land or limiting
certain development.

David Kiracofe
College of Charleston

 On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:42:14 -0500 Anne Pemberton wrote:

> I've been following this interesting thread and with the latest post what
> comes to mind is the frequent vandalism and desecration of "sacred
> soil" if
> that soil is sacred to Native Virginians. When I've attended Pow Wows over
> near West Point, I've heard complains of frequent trespassing and
> vandalism
> by locals. Seems if the concept of "sacred soil" has historical
> significance, it should be extended to everyone's "sacred soil".
>
>                                  Anne
>
> At 11:38 AM 2/19/02 -0400, David Kiracofe wrote:
> >Virginians began designating sacred soil early in the 19th century as
> >part of the development of American nationalism.  Jamestown was "sacred"
> >as the birthplace of America -- it had the remains of the church tower
> >and the ancient graveyard as visual points of reference.  Travellers
> >visiting the site expressed a kind of "awe" and reverence for the place.
> >Virginia was also "sacred" as the birthplace of George Washington, etc.
> >This kind of nationalism was particularly competitive with other
> >nationalist versions of the American story -- most notably of New
> >England's "Pilgrim fathers" who were already being lauded and publicized
> >as the "true" founders of America.
> >
> >Designating space as sacred was also part of the romantic impulse -- the
> >same impulse that manifested itself in the "cult of southern chivalry"
> >(complete with jousting) -- that sought distinctiveness on which to base
> >character and identity.  The federal soldiers who bragged about invading
> >Virginia's sacred soil knew they were hitting a nerve.
> >
> >David Kiracofe
> >College of Charleston
> >
> >To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
> >at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html
>
> Anne Pemberton
>
> http://www.erols.com/stevepem
> http://www.geocities.com/apembert45