From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:54:28 -0500
What is being discussed is biological warfare, which existed from ancient
times.  In the pre-Islamic Mideast, besiegers catapulted dead bodies inside
of cities.  the problem with all of this is that before the germ theory of
disease was proven in the 19th century, biological warfare was as likely to
backfire as not.

You have to be good with a bow or a rifle to kill with it effectively.  This
rule does not disapear when one begins using microbes as weapons.

The real danger is people who have reached our level of technical
competence.  We can bottle, alter, make airborne, and perhaps even create
deadly microbes.  Our ability to do this with microbes, chemicals, and
atomic energy are perhaps the greatest threats to our continued existence.

Harold S. Forsythe