From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:20:24 -0500
Many thanks for feedback on the NIKE sites...  It really brings back a time
that most of us do not even know existed.  Thanks to GOOGLE, I found a site
which has lists of all sites around the US, and Alaska, and maps of some
areas showing the more advanced NIKE HERCULES sites.  They were so much more
powerful than the NIKE AJAX, that the military generally closed down 1 site
for every one they kept open.

Interestingly enough, in spite of a wealth of 'good things' like schools
built on the old sites, a cursor glance identifies two locations around
Norfolk that are 'in private hands.'

All of this stroll down NIKE memory lane makes me want to dig out that most
classic of all anti-war movies,  Dr. STRANGELOVE, OR HOW I LEARNED TO LOVE
THE BOMB!!!!!!

Randy Cabell
Former missile man :))