From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 12:09:31 -0400
I chuckle to think that we will have no worry about future generations
trying to figure us out. We show and tell all - LOL. I doubt there is any
topic that is considered "unmentionable" or "improper conversation". Gee,
this could be a dissertation all to itself. However, it might be more for
the sociologist than the historian. "Why present society feels the need to
'show and tell' all" - LOL.

I must say, I've learned a few things here. I always thought that corn cobs
were a big joke. But, I now stand corrected. I wonder if those who used the
corn cobs liked the cobs better than the paper? Now, wouldn't THAT have been
an interesting survey?

As for those hoop skirts, they aren't really that difficult to function.
They are concentric circles with the largest at the bottom of the skirt. And
hoops are very flexible. At least the one I had on was. You can bring them
really close to your body and form and ellipse if you want. You can gather
the bottom hoops up and lift them all the way to the waiste. I think the
most difficult part of the hoop skirt is forgetting that your bottom half is
as big as the Liberty Bell and getting caught in the doorway - LOL. You are
also supposed to walk in such a way as to not ring your bell. The bottom of
the skirt is supposed to stay pararallel to the ground when you walk. I
guess so you are supposed to look like you are floating along and not look
like you are walking at all. I never perfected this as I only wore a hoop
once in my life.

Sorry, I have no idea what this has to do with Virginia history.

Lonny