From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 20:14:22 -0400
Herb,

I'll do the best I can to explain why I believe that TJ could be father to
some of Sally's children. First of all, perhaps ten or more years ago, I
read Fawn Brodie, and compared some of her notes to my copy of Jefferson's
Farm Book and Jefferson's Garden Book. I was fascinated by the fact that the
Hemings families had such strong oral traditions.

If it were anyone but TJ, that would be enough evidence. But, this is one of
our Founding Fathers, one who was assumed to esteem virtues highly. Well,
that would easily explaiin why he never acknowledged his children during his
lifetime, and perhaps a reason why the truth came out later in life for his
Hemings offspring.

Now, let's look at the scientific information. I think it is pretty well
conceded that TJ was available to impregnate at the right times. And, there
is the DNA confirmation for a Jefferson paternity to confirm that family's
oral tradition. Would one family preserve an oral tradition that was right
on the money, yet we want to dis the other family's oral tradition. If
anything, the affirmation of one of these oral traditions makes the
likelihood of the truthfulness of the other much more likely.

And, then there is that census survey in the book by Shannon Lanier in which
your opinion is clearly provided. You said the list was not signed by the
census taker, but haven't explained away the signature by the clerk of the
court. Which leads me to the conclusion that public officials in
Chillicothe, did not question the accuracy of the statement and seemingly
accepted at face value.

But, I've said this before, maybe on this forum, but the fact that I have
lived in Virginia my adult life and have had experiences with "virtuous"
Virginia males, that I find the story totally believable, and wonder why it
is even doubted.

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert