From:
"Meyers, Terry L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 13:27:40 +0000
I think on the whole that the Commission report is right about Jefferson’s letter and its import.

Only a few weeks earlier Jefferson was despairing of the legislature’s coming up with the money for his university.    And the “lessons of anti-Missourianism” that Southern students were exposed to in the North were indeed on his mind:

            http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/founders/default.xqy?keys=FOEA-chron-1820-1821-01-31-1

            I’m outside my field here and may be wrong, but the references seem to be to Missouri’s having been admitted to the Union as a slave state; he seems to favor that action, possibly as resistance to a strong Federal government overruling states’ rights; he is against those who opposed it, what he calls “Restrictionists,” those who would restrict slavery in Missouri.

            Jefferson seems to be favoring, then, an expansion of the Union by admitting a slave state and is perhaps concerned that not doing so would strengthen the powers of the federal government at the cost of eroding the powers of a state.  (For possible support of this position, see an earlier letter: http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/founders/default.xqy?keys=FOEA-chron-1820-1821-02-15-2 ).

In any case, on February 8, in response to Jefferson’s letter, Cabell asks for a letter that “can be shown generally,” a letter “showing no preferences, & and making no imputations.”  It’s not clear to me what the last phrases encourage, but Cabell assures Jefferson that the letter will be used with “discretion.”  It is clear that General Breckenridge, key to funding for UVA, “wishes” for such a letter and that Cabell writes “at his instance”:

            http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/founders/default.xqy?keys=FOEA-chron-1820-1821-02-08-1

            The imputation then is that such a letter should be addressed to matters Breckenridge is particularly interested in in terms of what UVA might portend.

And Jefferson responds as requested, writing Breckenridge that

“we are now trusting to those who are against us in position and principle, to fashion to their own form the minds & affections of our youth. if, as has been estimated, we send 300,000.D. a year to the Northern seminaries for the instruction of our sons, then we must have there at all times 500. of our sons imbibing opinions and principles in discord with those of their own country. this canker is eating on the vitals of our existence, and if not arrested at once will be beyond remedy. we are now certainly furnishing recruits to their school.”

                        From:  http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/founders/default.xqy?keys=FOEA-chron-1820-1821-02-15-2

The language here to my mind is not crystal clear, but what is clear is that this is a letter Jefferson was not entirely happy with.   Possibly even before it had left his desk, he sought to restrict its circulation:

http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/founders/default.xqy?keys=FOEA-chron-1820-1821-02-15-4

 So it seems he foresees possible embarrassment from what he’s written.

The question then becomes, I think, whether he is writing Breckenridge about slavery or about Federalism and states’ rights.

I think it’s slavery.  I gather Breckenridge was a committed Federalist:

https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Breckinridge_James_1763-1833#start_entry<https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Breckinridge_James_1763-1833%23start_entry>

If so, I don’t think Jefferson would advance an argument in favor of UVA that its students would avoid being infected with Northern, Federalist thinking.

            And I don’t think he would have been embarrassed in public as much by asserting states’ rights as he would be by seeming to support pro-slavery thinking at UVA.

            But I’m an amateur in all this and welcome corrections.