From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:05:55 -0400
Actually, J South, having read so many of your posts, I am thinking that it
would be useful to make useful once again the slave auction block that still
stands on a street corner in Fredericksburg, and auction you off into
slavery, with the stricture that you be beaten regularly into submission,
worked at hard labor from sunup to sundown seven days a week, and  be
hounded if you attempt to escape. After a period of years, we could let you
return and tell us what you would do to your "master" after less than a
lifetime of such treatment. Somehow, I suspect, that murder would be at the
top of your list!!!

While many slaves accepted their situation without rebellion, it is
important for today's children to know that some rose up and made the effort
to achieve freedom for their people, as well as the fact that some ran away
to freedom and worked within the system to achieve the freedom for all.
These are important heroes for our children to learn about. Certainly
putting these people in a positive light will be as difficult as putting
Jefferson Davis and Harry Flood Byrd in a positive light, but it is
incumbent upon us, as those holding up the torch of history, to shine the
light into all the corners that glisten with the ideals of freedom.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org