From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:56:56 -0600
I am happy to agree with Kevin that we may never agree on this.  That is
what makes life interesting.  Think how bored we would all be if we did
all agree on everything.

I do think I see his point, which is that some who fly the confed. flag
do not see themselves as racist or as supporting segregation, the KKK or
slavery; I hope he sees my point, which is that for many people that is
what the flag stands for and to fly it is to support those causes, even
if one does not think one is supporting those causes.

To put it more philosophically, the Confederate Flag surely once stood
for a nation dedicated to slavery and racial subordination.  I think
Kevin and I agree on that.

Opponents of integration and out-and-out racists (like the White
Citizens Councils and the KKK) embraced the flag as did southern state
legislatures that opposed integration.  NO  ONE (as far as I know) in
the South objected to this use of the flag; whole state governments
endorsed the flag as a symbol of segregation.  Now, I would argue, it is
far too late in the game to come along and try to persuade people that
we should accept the flag as some symbol of  "southern culture" that is
abstraced from slavery and segregation.   It may be that the flag has
been misused by racists and segregationist, but isn't it a bit late in
the day to now argue that the flag has some other meaning.

Finally, I would ask Kevin to tell us what that "other meaning" might
be?  What is the purpose of flying a flag that has for so long
symbolized oppression, slavery, racism, and worse?  Why would people
choose that flag as the symbol of their culture, unless they are, in
some deep primal way, trying to tie themselves to that culture.  It is
one thing to wave that flag at a civil war reenactment -- that is where
it belongs.  It is quite another to wave it in an integrated society
that is striving hard to create an atmosphere of equality and tolerance.

I can accept that some who fly the flag, or hang it in their bedroom or
on the car, think they are not endorsing the racism of the past.  What
then are they endorsing? And, what do they think others will think when
they see the flag that has been traditionally associated with so much
pain and racial violence?

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman