From:
Jim Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:19:39 -0500
The poor laws of Virginia came into effect within 20 years of the landing at
Jamestown.  However, they did little to help the poor, relieving them only
of some taxes.  The poor still had to pay to support the local minister, and
had to have someone "testifie to their poverty."  From then on, poor laws
generally evolved in a fashion similar to English law.

Localities handled impoverished citizens differently from place to place
with general guideline provided by the General Assembly.  Hence, while
Richmond and Norfolk had poorhouses that might've made Dickens shudder,
Lancaster County never had a poor house until 1877.  There are at least a
few poorhouses still standing (and Superintendent of the poor's houses),
tho' none are used for the original purpose.  The Superintendent's house for
Rockbridge still stands and, when I last talked to the occupants, is for
sale.  Shenandoah County's was in use until the late 1960s when the last
resident was sent to the hospital; today it is a shelter for battered women.
Frederick County's is still there and when I saw it two years ago, it housed
(ironically, and like Dave Barry, I'm not making this up) migrant farm
workers.

An easy way to find out more is to check Hening's Statutes and look up
Overseers of the Poor (after 1787, before then parish vestries handled the
poor).  The Library of Virginia has many of the county poor records.

Jim Watkinson