From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 04:13:03 -0400
Anne

No one can never totally trust history. As more is discovered, it
changes. While the big picture remains, the details can alter subtly,
or dramatically. It is an axiom that in an oral tradition, after three
generations, then your people have always done it. There are numerous
cases where this can be documented. For instance the Plains Indians
always hunted on horseback. Except they couldn't until after the
Spanish reintroduced the horse (it having gone extinct a couple of
million years ago in the Americas). The Navajo will tell you they have
always woven rugs, except that many of the patterns and the sheep were
introduced by the Spanish (go to Chimayo, NM). A number of the pottery
types sold by Pueblo Indians and other tribes while often traditional
shapes were not made for a considerable time and were reintroduced by
archaeologists.

One of the things I like about science is that it is not about TRUTH.
Because new discoveries keep changing what we know. I am endlessly
amused by the fact that almost everything I was taught about the human
family tree in college was wrong.

The same is true about history, but to a lesser degree. For the most
part we can trust account books, maps, plats, and diaries (and similar
documents) to describe what actually happened. A diary is personal,
there is no compelling reason to lie. And while survey techniques left
something to be desired (just where is that white oak again), the
rough outlines are accurate and the list of neighbors as well. One can
look at numerous sources who discuss the same "happening" and it is
possible to ferret out most of the truth of what actually took place.

No one is a totally unbiased observer. And in some cases it is
impossible for people who took part to produce a good picture of what
happened. But put together a number of first person narratives and you
get awfully close. If I remember correctly, when the Royal Navy sought
an author to write the definitive history of the naval part of the War
of 1812, American Theatre, they finally turned to Teddy Roosevelt.
British authors just could not deal with the fact of the Wasp, Hornet,
Constitution, Gen. Armstrong, or Thomas Boyle. So they turned to an
American.

As the science of archaeology progresses there are things we KNOW
about the past. We now have the ability to pretty much tie down what
was eaten and by whom. The same is true of things like what they ate
off and using what, if any, utensils. Certain things we do know from
history. Where it can be shown that there are a number of independent
sources that essentially say the same thing about the same occurrence,
we can be pretty sure that is what happened. Some quotes (including
whole speeches) are known. It is only recently that politicians came
up with the idea of not giving the speeches, just having them
published as if they were delivered on the floor of the US House or
Senate. Don't know if other countries have a similar system, but it
would not surprise me.

The importance of Columbus was he was the first European to make a
difference. Leif Ericson or St Columba may have been earlier, but they
made no lasting impression on the Americas. The very limited NOrse
colony (ies) were of short duration and abandoned. They became part of
the sagas, but that was it. After Columbus came Pizzaro, Cortez,
Smith, The Pilgrims, etc. That is why Columbus is important.

If you want TRUTH go to church.

One of the things I discovered over and over while writing my MA for
William and Mary, was that everything I knew was wrong. It was all a
matter of digging deep enough to find the original sources.