From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:09:04 -0400
Hello All,

I have a little bit of info to add to this subject.

I have scanned portions of two maps with show the Pleasure House.

The first one is a map of Princess Anne County drawn for Benedict Arnold
in 1781. This shows the Pleasure House itself. [pa-county1.jpg]
The second map portion is from a French map of the Chesapeake, 1775,
which shows Pleasure House and is labelled "Aiguade" which I understand
to mean "watering place" [pa-county2.jpg]

I scanned them at high resolution and placed them in this web directory:
http://www.tuckahoetradingco.com/files3/

The Benedict Arnold map is from "Gateway to the New World, A History of
Princess Anne County, Virginia, 1607-1824" by Florence Kimberly Turner

The French map of the Chesapeake was part of a Virginia map set sold by
the Va. State Library back in the 1970's  [I wish they would reprint the
whole series again]

I will also include an excerpt from Florence Turner's "Gateway..." book
which refers to the Pleasure House.
pages 260-261

"In 1807, one Andrew Fife ran an ad in the Norfolk newspapers that he
had rented The Pleasure House and would keep it "in such a manner as he
presumes to hope will meet with the approbation of those who favor him
with their company." Then in 1811, Joel Cornick was the innkeeper and
advertised that he "now keeps it as a Haven of Entertainment."

    In 1812, General Robert Barraud Taylor was appointed to protect
Hampton Roads, and he charged the local militia with partrolling the
beach from Cape Henry to Norfolk. Surprised by a British scouting party
while the soldiers were playing cards, the guardhouse was burned and the
tavern damaged.

    The Governor received a poor report concerning the state of military
readiness at the Pleasure House, which said, "It is a suitable lounge
for gamblers, tipsters, and those gentry of pleasure who love idleness,
lack of discipline, and prefer convenience to their country's safety."

[excerpt from a letter by William George, Jr.]

"Pleasure House August 22nd 1813.
which is about 12 miles below the City of Norfolk, and it is called the
house of Pleasure but I should and I will give it the Name of Trouble
and disagreeableness for it is a place where was a regiment of soldiers
but a little time ago and they have left behind them both fleas and lice
which to me are both disagreeable and camp companions for which I have
no love or esteem, and it was the dirtiest house I have ever seen in my
life.
I have to stay here about 8 days more to close on the enemy lines for
they are about 4 miles from where I am and then we ride the beach and
watch their movements, and the duty is very hard, for I and all the men
which are with me have to stand on Guard every night half the Knight
which is very hard on us. There are 12 men with me and there is a
seventy-four [gun warship] a Schooner and a Tender about 3 or 4 miles
which looks very disagreeable and very daring to us and bids defiance to
us. In safety they ride on the waves and inhabit the watery globe in
site of us and out of danger. "

I hope that this is some interest.

Regards,

Tom Apple