From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2015 14:21:36 -0400
Historian H. Peter Pudner died March 24th in the 75th year of his age. I
hadn't seen him for many years, but met him through the old Virginia
Landmarks Commission and always enjoyed our conversations and his take on
all things historical and contemporary - as well as his wry tales of grad
school in NYC. Peter was then quite a fan of the Spanish philosopher Miguel
de Unamuno.
    I continue to admire Peter's essay about southern education - written
as something of a challenge to the New England slant of Bernard Bailyn's
Education in the Forming of American Society - and commend it to a rising
generation not likely to have stumbled upon it in the pages of The Georgia
Review.
    My copy is tucked away somewhere upstairs, but here's the citation from
a footnote in Bertram Wyatt-Brown's Southern Honor:
  H. Peter Pudner, "People Not Pedagogy: Education in Old Virginia,"
Georgia Review (October 1971): 263-85.

Jon Kukla