From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:20:21 -0500
I agree it certainly depends upon the time and place in question. Frankly, I tend to consider the terms "plantation" and "planter" as identical with "farm" and "farmer." I work mostly with 1700s era records in Virginia. These terms are most commonly found in deeds and wills. The use of these terms seem to have nothing to do with manor houses, acreage or any number of slaves working on them. One subtle use of the term is that it often--not always-- denotes that there was at least a dwelling house on the tract of land in question.

So, I suppose I will have to take a contra position by "most historians" that the term means a minimum of 20 slaves for the antebellum period. My experience with many, many, records denotes nothing of the sort.

Craig Kilby