Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:10:06 EST
In a message dated 2/26/03 7:00:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> As I already told you, the SOLs are not political, the NEA does
> not dictate them, and it is the teachers, subjects experts and community
> members who update the SOLs every few years. The History and Social Science
> SOLs were last updated two years ago.

While I suspect that the SOL's  are not a topic for this forum I would be
interested in the History of how the SOL's came about. At one time I heard it
was to be a measure of how well the teachers taught....the burden being on
the teachers...today the students are put under immense pressure to "perform"
or not graduate...the burden on the student....I've seen student almost in
tears because the SOL's are coming...I've heard of teachers doing nothing but
teaching how to take tests so the students get better grades (wish someone
had done that for me 35 years ago). So the question is what's the history of
SOL's. Do other states do the same thing

Bill Buser