Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 21:55:19 -0400
When I was in school in the 60's the worm was starting to turn regarding our
attitudes toward historical figures. I recall the rather cutesy remark, "We
all know that George Washington  fathered more than just our country."
Wink. Wink.
Well. He most probably did not father anyone or anything except this
country....if you happen to accept him as the grand patriarch of the
hagiography of yesteryear.
This is a minor example of how stuff gets started, is bandied about
classrooms without a shred of evidence and works its way into history.

DF Mills
York County, VA