From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:01:10 GMT
I hope this is not off topic. I believe it is something the list members should be aware of. It is especially important to those who are considering having their materials published. There is a wealth of information that comes over this list, and I am attempting to share my experiences with having my book published.

I spent many years on researching and documenting my book. Along the way I learned a thing or two about publishers, how they work, and how to choose one. If you are considering having your works published, here are some tips.
1. You may want to get an agent to represent your interests, or an attorney to go over contracts.
2. A legitimate publisher will not charge you up front fees
3. A legitimate publisher will not ask you to pay for editing
4. A legitimate publisher does not solicit your business
5. You should have the copyright of your material registered in your name, not in the publishing Houses name
6. A legitimate publisher will not request that you purchase books upfront (there are publishers out there who require you to purchase a certain quanity of books 500, 1000, or even more, it is cheaper to just self publish)
7. Find out how the publisher is going to market and promote your book, before signing on the dotted line.
8. As a first time author, it is difficult to find a publisher, so it may be worth it to self publish. At least with self publishing the copyrights to your work, remain with you.

The work that you have represents your ideas, and until you sign a contract they belong to you. Be careful about signing your rights away, or signing anything you do not understand.

There are other published authors on this list, who may have more   suggestions.

Anita Wills

Order Sites for Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color - Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

LEBOUDIN INFORMATION SITE:
http://www.orgsites.com/ca/leboudinpub/