Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2014 16:27:38 +0000
There are natural burial grounds around the world-- I know the UK has several. You can find out more pretty easily on the Internet--
looking for "green" or "natural" burial. I would imagine there must be some kind of regulations about how and where it is done.
Here are a couple of Internet sites, fyi:

http://www.greenburials.org/

http://www.deathforbeginners.com/greenburialva.html

It's not mainstream, but it appears to be growing along with the cremation option. With either option people can still have markers
or monuments or other ways to memorialize the person. I can understand why some people (and genealogists) may hate these options when family does not opt to have a gravestone; and I, too, really like old cemeteries and certainly think we need to continue to protect and safeguard them, as we would for historic architectural structures.

In this day and age, I think it makes sense to do things differently... perhaps because my (very traditional, Hollywood Cemetery, "old Virginia") family did that two generations before me when my surgeon grandfather was cremated.