From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:17:13 -0330
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:33:07 -0500, Lonny J. Watro wrote
> Does no one else know of any other great women of Virginia? Or do
> you just not want to take on Brent's challenge and play along? I'm
> recovering from surgery here and need a good mind game. So humor me,
> o.k?

For a 17th century example, I would say that Sarah Thorowgood (Thoroughgood)
was a great, or at least formidable woman.

Sarah or Susan OFFLEY was born on 16 Apr 1609 in Of London, London,
Middlesex, Eng. She was christened on 16 Apr 1609 in Of St. Benet's C,
London, Middlesex, Eng. She died in Aug 1657 in Virginia. She was buried in
Of Church Point, Princess Anne Co., Va. She married Adam THOROUGHGOOD on 18
Jul 1627 in Of St. Anne's Church, Blackfriars, London, England.

Sarah was daughter of the Mayor of London. Her first husband, Capt. Adam
Thoroughgood, was an extensive landholder in Lynnhaven Parish, Lower Norfolk
County (now Va. Beach). She helped him amass his landholdings. She later
married Samuel (IIRC) Gookins, then married George Yeardley (son of Gov.
Yeardly). She held the local tax collectors at bay who were afraid to
approach her. They rejoiced when she remarried so they could appeal to her
new husband to allow an inventory of her holdings. The existing brick house
in Virginia Beach was built by her son or grandson.

Regards,

Tom Apple