From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:25:09 -0400
Harriott, and Linda --

You exemplify the true breadth of Virginia's past, in all its
complexity -- and the strength of its future.

Happy Fourth to all.

-- Jurretta

On Jul 3, 2007, at 2:54 PM, harriott lomax wrote:

> VERY WELL stated Linda. I am quite sure that many others on this list
> will find their ancestry is as mixed as yours.
>
> I am retired from Colonial Williamsburg. as an interpreter of African
> American History I was often asked how did I feel telling the story of
> how African-Virginians were treated, "Doesn't it make you angry...hate
> white people...etc...?"  My response was "My African ancestors were
> brought here to work uncompensated for my English ancestors who stole
> the land from my American ancestors, how am I suppose to feel?"
>
> Harriott
>

> From: Linda Threadgill <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [VA-HIST] This forum
> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:58:42 -0700
>> Hi,
>> I have been a member of this mailing list off and on since 1996.
>> There was a time when many of us enjoyed the discussions about
>> Virginia history, especially those of us not from VA, but whose
>> family have roots in this state.
>>
>> Lately the forum seems to have become one used to argue and push
>> certain people's agendas. There are still great people on this list
>> who are not heard from. I think this is due to the nature of the most
>> recent posts. I am getting very tired of the on going racist
>> arguments. I have to say, some of our members are a very creative
>> bunch. It seems that any topic can be turned into something that has
>> to do with slavery or the War Between the States.
>>
>> I am going on vacation next week and will be unsubbing. I am
>> seriously considering leaving this list permanently. I ask the list
>> members to please consider those of us who enjoy reading the
>> messages, but comment very little. All posts don't need or require a
>> response. That is what your delete key is for. There have been many
>> times over the last several weeks that I could have contributed to
>> the discussion. I am a mixed race person. Yes, I have done DNA
>> testing so I know this is a fact. I belong to one of America's First
>> Families, the Charitys. My maiden name is Stith. I descended from the
>> African American Stiths who were slaves, but had connections to the
>> Jeffersons, Washingtons, Lees, Bollings, Randolphs, Masons, Goodwyns,
>> etc as well as to the Hairstons. Thru my Charity and Jones families I
>> have connections to former Gov. Wilder. One of my distant Charity
>> cousins was Arthur Ashe's tennis coach when he was growing up in
>> Richmond. I also have family ties to England and Scotland thru my
>> maternal family line which is also out of VA and TN. My paternal
>> lines are from Charles City, Surry, Sussex, Southampton and
>> Greensville Counties. I am a very distant relative to Nat Turner and
>> have cousins who have connections to the families that were killed by
>> Nat Turner. My greatgreatgrandfather was Henry Grizzard who was from
>> the Ambrose Grizard (Grisard) line of Southampton County and who were
>> relatives to Judge Powell. And last but not least, my aunt was an
> [...]

"My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total.
And I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the
diminution, the subversion, the destruction, of the Constitution."
~ Rep. Barbara Jordan, House Judiciary Committee, July 25, 1974
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/
barbarajordanjudiciarystatement.htm