From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:22:47 -0500
I think that the bounty of the New World changed many Old World customs.  By
the late 18th century it was understood that the two wonders of North
America were that you could burn wood for heat and cooking (instead of coal)
and that you could eat meat seven days a week.  (Remember the rise of the
Peruvian potato in northern Europe.)  It is difficult for us to imagine the
world we do not live in but American abundance amazed 18th and 19th (and
20th) century immigrants.

Expansion of grain and meat production capacity in the US, Canada,
Argentina, Uruguay, and Australia dwarfs I am sure the expansion of food
production capacity in the rest of the world from 1800-2006.

Harold S. Forsythe