From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 16:34:52 -0400

Hi Folks,

I promise that this note will be shorter than the last.

1.  At the May meeting, I mentioned problems with our email distribution list.  A number of people weren’t receiving these incredibly interesting postings.  As a result of discussions with a very helpful young lady at Comcast Security, I’ll be making a few behind the scenes changes on my end and on these posts that should help.

First, I’ll be spelling out American Revolution Round Table – Richmond in the subject heading.  That should make it clearer what this is and not confuse it with, say, ARRP or the like.  And that it’s not spam.  Comcast believes that’s part of the problem, with some people marking these as spam.

Second, I’d ask that you please don’t mark these as spam.  That should help.  According to Comcast, that’s very important.

Third, as a corollary to the above, if you wish to be removed from the list, please send me an email to that effect.  Almost everyone on the list is there as a result of their request.  But interests change.

Four, I’ll be adding something like this at the bottom of subsequent notes: “If you wish to be removed from this list, please send an email to [log in to unmask], and I’ll remove your name.”

Finally, there are always a few emails that are returned as undeliverable.  I’ll be removing those addresses from the list.  If you change your email address and wish to remain on the list, please send me a note.

Part of the problem comes from our success, with the list growing ever larger, now over 200 names.  Apparently, the North Jersey ARRT is having the same problem.  But we are still well within the Comcast 999 email per day limit.

Thanks very much for your help with this.  Now...

2.  On June 9, at noon, Barnet Schecter will speak at the Virginia Historical Society.  His topic will be “George Washington’s America: A Biography Through His Maps.”  Details are at http://www.vahistorical.org/news/lectures_banner.htm#schecter.  Barnet is a great guy, and you’ll enjoy his presentation.

3.  The recently expanded Glen Allen branch of the Henrico County Public Library on Staples Mill Road has an extensive new permanent collection of books devoted to the Founding Fathers.  The wide selection of books covers all age groups.  Especially attractive are volumes of the writings of Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Marshall, Morris, Greene, and Hamilton – all of which can be checked out with your card.  This is unique for what are usually considered as reference books.

4.  John Millar has provided us with a disc copy of “Revolutionary War Road and Transportation Survey in the Commonwealth of Virginia,” focusing on the campaign of 1781- 1782.  John is willing to make copies available for a $3.00 donation to cover copying costs and a small donation to The Central Virginia Historical Preservation Foundation.  Please contact me if you desire a copy.

5.  Here’s the link to Bob Yankle’s gallery of photographs from the First Congress of American Revolution Round Tables on May 14, in Richmond.  http://www.vahistorical.org/news/lectures_banner.htm#schecter.  another great array by Bob.

The next ARRT – Richmond meeting is July 20.  Topic is the Maryland Continental Line.  I hope to see you then.

Bill Welsch