From:
Digital Heritage of Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Digital Heritage of Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:16:26 -0500
This is simply fantastic information.  1778 is about 30 years before I
thought that Jefferson called out his desire for the band of oboes,
clarinets, horns and a bassoon.  I always thought it was the US Marine Band
which inspired him.  Hey, maybe he revisited his idea when President, and
inspired the US Marine Band to upgrade from their fifes and drums!

In any case, be assured that I shall weave all this into a presentation for
which there won't be a dry eye in the house.  About 100 selections of the
1800 that I am contributing to UVa are this type of music, so even though
Mr. Jefferson never got his band, his University will get a good set of
Harmoniemusick that would have warmed the cockles of his heart.

Thanks, again for all the help.

Randy Cabell - The Trumpeter of Jamestown